LUBE OIL MIST ELIMINATOR CHECK VALVE VCK20-13 AT GE 9e

N

nayan.sharif

Can any one tell me about the working principle of lube oil mist check valve VCK20-13 at GE frame 9e lube oil system?

nayan.sharif,

What does the System Description section of the Operation/Maintenance Manuals provided with the turbine say about the purpose of the valve? It will most likely be in the L.O. System tab, but may be in the Cooling & Sealing Air System tab.

If you can post a copy of the P&ID to a webhosting site (like www.tinypic.com) and provide us the URL to the P&ID we might be able to help.

Please understand: The design responsibility for GE Frame 9Es now lies with their facility in Belfort, France. The Belfort Bunch have decided that the way things have been done for decades is not sufficient, so they have complicated most every system on the turbine and auxiliaries.

Hi Nayan,

Once I worked on GE Frame 9E (PG9171E) packaged by GE Belfort. I remember that the oil mist eliminator was equipped with an adjustable regulating spring valve for the purpose to maintain constant vacuum in the tank and an integrated spring check valve to relief oil mist in case of excessive pressure built inside the tank by bypassing the blower.

Is this what you are looking for?

Regards

> Can any one tell me about the working principle of lube oil mist check valve
> VCK20-13 at GE frame 9e lube oil system?

Our 0416 drawing shows VCK20-13 consisting of 2 check valves oriented in separate directions.

The first one allows flow from the lube oil tank to the external vent. Under normal running circumstances this valve is closed because the lube oil tank is under vacuum. Should there be a problem with your blowers or a clogged filter it is possible for the lube oil tank to become pressurized above atmosphere. The source of this is the cooling and sealing air pressurizing the tank through the bearings. This check valve prevents this scenario from occurring.

The second check valve allows flow from the blower discharge back to the tank via the buffer box. The operating pressure of this valve is adjustable and is used to set the differential pressure of your vacuum, typically 4-6inchs h2o at base load. It is effectively a recycle valve.

In practise the first valve is just sheet metal on a hinge covering a punched out hole. The second valve has the added inclusion of a floppy old mattress bed spring to adjust the pressure. Never had a problem with the USA items supplied running on 20 years old. But in a world of six sigma lean lean CTQ garbage good luck in getting it to work properly.