Mark-V DS200SDCC U9 EEPROM

E

ELVIN APONTE

After replacing the DS200SDCC U9 EEPROM from proccesor R in a mark-v simplex control because there was and message BAD EEPROM SUM after a input power problem in the system. The Proccesor only reach to A4. In this state I can't do anything. I tried to format but no communication with R. Cannot download the program from our HMI to the new eeprom. with the new card, the panel reaches up to A4 only. While trying to download, the message am getting is "...time out. Tried with different card and getting the same result. This is a simplex panel and we are changing the SDCC in the R core. Can anybody help me to resolve this problem?

When replacing a EEPROM chip (or a DCC/SDCC with a new EEPROM chip) it's necessary to use the LCC/SLCC display keyapd to tell the chip what the processor ID is (<R>, in this case), and what the StageLink ID is (if the DCC/SDCC or U9 chip is in <C> or <D>).

Next, FORMAT the EEPROM in <R> with the EEPROM Downloader and another hard re-boot from <PD>.

Then you should be able to download ALL (hopefully you uploaded the Timers & Counters data before you replaced the EEPROM chip), and then perform another hard re-boot from the <PD> Core. Everything should go to A7 at that point. (Yes; ALL does include FORMAT, but it doesn't hurt anything to FORMAT the chip first, then FORMAT it again as part of the new download of everything else.)

I believe there are instructions for using the LCC/SLCC Display keypad to set the Processor ID and StageLink ID, if necessary, in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980.

Hope this helps!

E

ELVIN APONTE

Thanks for your response. I used the LCC. Write R. Reboot and only reach to A4. Tried to format but the message in the command prompt screen was "timed out" in every partition. I used Card_ID command to see if their communication, and the message was "no response from R" the processor C shows all the card in it. I did a test with other chip from other unit. When reboot reach A4/A5 and in this case I had communication. What next?.

Thanks
Elvin Aponte

Elvin Aponte,

Hmmm.... My next thought would be there's something wrong with the DCC/SDCC or the DENET between <R> and <C>.

Or the chip was inserted wrong or is bad.

Does the LCC/SLCC display show that the processor has accepted being told it is <R> when it is displaying A4? Or does it show <Q>?

If it shows <Q> then it's not accepting being told to be <R>, which means there is something wrong with the chip, or the cable connecting the LCC/SLCC to the DCC/SDCC isn't fully inserted. It could also be a problem with the LCC/SLCC.

If it shows <R> then it's either a bad DCC/SDCC or some problem with the DENET between <R> and <C>.

Be sure to check all cables for proper insertion or tightness.

Please write back to let us know hows you are progressing.

E

ELVIN APONTE

Hello:

Here we have two similar steam turbines control. One is working and the other have the problem. In the begining I installed the new eeprom in the unit with the problem. After some test in that unit I moved to use the processor R in the unit that it is working. I removed the working U9 eeprom in this processor that was on A7. Installed the new one with the result that you know, reach to A4 and in the lcc display show < R >. When I install back the U9 from this card goes to A7. I tested 6 new eeprom with the same result. May be the chips are bad? They comes from China. May be I need to buy a new SDCC from GE. What next?

Thanks
Elvin Aponte

Elvin Aponte,

Based on the information provided, if you are able to set the Processor ID of the new EEPROM with the LCC display, then the chip is fine and the communications between the LCC/SLCC and the SDCC are okay. It seems you can't "access" the <R> processor from the operator interface, so it would seem there is some problem with the DENET between <C> and <R>. You may be fighting more than one problem; this does happen from time to time--especially if there was a serious "input power problem."

I would suspect if you've tried multiple chips the problem is likely not the chip(s), but something preventing the HMI from accessing/communicating with <R> which is done via the DENET between <R> and <C>. I think the DENET is described in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980. If not, can you use the printed sheets in the plastic pockets on the back of the <C> and <R> core doors to trace the DENET between <C> and <R>? You don't have any spare SDCC cards?

Are you sure about the cables connecting the LCC/SLCC to the SDCC? Particularly the one at the top of the LCC/SLCC (I think it's called PL3 or something like that).

Hope this helps!

Please write back to let us know how you're progressing!

E

ELVIN APONTE

Hello:

Remenber I did the test now in a Processor R that it is working, It is at A7.I can do everything with that processor,Card_ID, eeprom download until I replace U9 for a new one.When put the original U9 back in the card go to A7 with all the function.I think that the DENET between R and C is good.In GE publication(GEI-1000029C) talk about how to replace a U9.

The following information is from page 18.

1)With the original EEPROM installed, upload its configuration to a file by issuing the following serial command to the drive: ^x0-4095<Enter>

NOTE
If the new EEPROM is totally blank (no programming
label attached), parameters EE.2
and EE.3 must be set to 21 using a Programmer
before performing step 2.

2. Install the new EEPROM in the SDCC and download
the configuration file to the drive.

Also said:Use
ST2000 (see GEH-5860), GE Control System Toolbox (see GEH- 6333), or LynxOS Drive Configurator (see GEH-6203) to load the configuration into the EEPROM supplied with the SDCC.

What do you think? What is EE.2 , EE.3?
Which programmer? I'm really confused.
I called GE and they said " Sure we can help you, buy a new SDCC board by only $9,000.00.
What is missing in that troubleshoot?

Thank you for your help.

Elvin Aponte,

Actually, I'm not really clear about what you've done and how you're doing it. I've read and re-read your posts and I'm not exactly clear.

I've seen some of these GEI's (GE "Informational") documents. Some are better than others; most are not very good. They seem to have been thrown together from various notes people have made to themselves about how to accomplish various procedures, and have not been vetted very well before publication. I can attest to their desire to "just publish" documents, without regard for correctness or even completeness.

Anyway, It would be necessary for me to be able to read the entire document. I think it's more of a reference to a newer Mark V system and software tools than you might have.

In my experience, it was only necessary to remove a EEPROM chip from the chip tube/sleeve and install it in the socket, then power-up the processor, set the Processor ID, set the StageLink ID (if <C> or <D>), re-boot, download FORMAT, re-boot, then download ALL. It was that simple. I'm referring to EEPROM chips purchased from electronics supply companies (like RS and Newark), not just for chips received from GE.

I'm wondering if "newer" EEPROM chips have to have some kind of "pre-formatting".... I think that's the reference to EE.2 and EE.3,

The reference you cite to LynxOS makes me think the document is referring to a Mark V-LM panel (provided with some GE aeroderivative turbine packages), which actually has a physical hard-drive in the Mark V processors, and uses LynxOS RTOS.?.?.?

There are other options to GE for cards. One of the control.com advertisers, GTC, also sells cards. I don't know if they also provide EEPROM chips, or not.

I think you need to step back and take a look at the documentation you are using and be sure it's applicable to a "plain" Mark V (i.e., not a Mark V-LM), and ask the chip supplier if they are "pre-formatted" or if a PROM programmer is required to pre-format (or "initialize" I think it's sometimes called) the EEPROM chip you have purchased.

PROM programmers aren't too expensive (certainly cheaper than GE's asking price for the SDCC!), and if you had one you could just insert the good U9 chip in the programmer, copy the good U9 contents to the programmer, remove the good U9 chip, install the new EEPROM, then past the good U9 contents to the new EEPROM chip, and just install the new chip into the U9 socket. That would be all that would be required.

Sorry; I don't have access to GE documents any longer and they are VERY unfriendly about people who have them and haven't obtained them "legally." I haven't experienced the problems you are describing, and my experience with EEPROMs is almost 20 years old and I think EEPROM chips (the same EEPROM chips used then) are now more "universal" and can be used for LOTS of different applications depending on how they are "initialized" (pre-formatted).

I wish I had better news and more support. Please write back to let us know how you fare with this issue.

E

ELVIN APONTE

Hello

My solution was READ and WRITE. Read a good U9 from other SDCC board that was on service with an eeprom programmer model GQ USB UNIVERSAL EPROM PROGRAMMER Rev 6.27, and write, and then tested in the R CORE Mark-V. Also I am waiting a pair of new U9 eeprom from GE. When arrive I'm going to install and follow the procedure that you said before to check is the chip need a pre-format before install. Thanks for your help.

Elvin