How to do hot-changeover

N

Norway

If I want to decommission Siemens PLC and install ABB PLC without shut down of system, how to do a hot swap for DI, DO AI and AO I/O cards?

Can you connect both systems parallel and check ABB systems works before disconnecting Siemens?

Having done this kind of project many times, I think you're going to have a few more problems than just swapping the I/O modules.

Anyway, at some point in your project you are going to have to either break the I/O termination to patch in your new I/O module or if you're reusing Siemens IO on the ABB PLC via profibus you're going to have to shut down the bus to move it to the new controller.

We've had some pretty good experience with transferring systems from S5 to AC800M with "Minimal" downtime, but zero downtime does not sound in any way realistic. Basically, we use whatever available downtime the plant can give us to work through all the I/O and wire in plugs so that the new I/O modules can be swapped from S5 to S800 during a final short plant downtime. When all the I/O signals have plugs installed, the new controllers can be plugged in in less than an hour and commissioning started.

The most important part of all is proper planning and setting expectations of what parts of the plant must be shut and when.

Rob
www[.]lymac.co.nz