Avon 1535 Servo Actuator

S

servo2014

We are planning for control system up-gradation in our Compressors run by Avon 1535.

However, due to frequently reported problems with the proposed Whitaker Fuel Metering Valves, the old fuel control valves will be retained.

We would like to know if it is possible to replace the old Parker Electro-hydraulic actuator with a fully electric actuator, keeping the old Fisher Valve intact. Please share if anyone has any experience of using Parker/Moog/any other Electric Servo Actuator for gas turbine fuel control application.

I don't believe it is possible to replace the hydraulic actuator on your existing Fisher metering valve with an electric actuator. Your options are to keep the existing valve and hydraulic actuator or replace both as a combined unit. I'm sure you have been made aware of the advantages an elctrically actuated valve will provide, and if you are upgrading the control system, this would be an ideal time to replace the fuel valve as well.

There are a number of options. You don't have to use the Whittaker valves (or indeed the PLC) specified by the OEM. My company has undertaken many complete turbine control system upgrades and used a variety of fuel control valves and PLCs. Often the customer specifies their preferred manufacturer. We would probably recommend using Woodward valves in your case but have experience with valves from Precision, Young and Franklin, as well as Whittaker. Note that the Whittaker valve uses a Moog actuator.

Let me know if you need any further advice or are interested in alternative upgrade options.

We manufacture high torque electric actuators can you send me a spec sheet on the valve you are using? I will have our engineers take a look if we can't do anything I will be sure to point you in the right direction. ray [at] hanbayinc .com