level control in grain silo

O

Old digger

What do you consider the best sensor/ the best way / to monitor the level of grain in a silo?

These are not a gigantic silos - but still between 30 and 40 meter high, some built in steel, some built in concrete.

Thanks

vibrating fork probe are commonly used to detect level for high/lo alarms or load cells if you need actual inventory.

The Siemens LR560 radar was made for grain silos.

Its start-up wizard even asks whether the silo is steel or concrete.

It'll make the long shot and has the tightest beam angle which gives the best return echo. It'll handle the dust.

No radar will shoot through a fill stream though; locating a radar away from a fill stream is important.

It's worth a serious look.

I

icenta Controls

We agree that the Siemens LR560 radar level transmitter is a good option for continuous monitoring in this application. If you are only interested in high and low switch points you could also consider a Siemens LVS vibrating level switch for the low switch point and a Siemens LPS200 rotating paddle switch for the high one.

[email protected]

F
I have used rotary switches frequently in grain bins and they work very well. I have done very little with radar, but they are available and work well. Be careful with radar. Many of them need to be carefully match to the usage environment by the vendor.

I have worked with BinMaster and Monitor rotary switches, but currently use and far prefer Blue Level Technologies. They are full featured, well designed, and well priced.