Will RCC gain adjusted to zero cause a problem

A

Arjun Sharma

Dear all,

In our gas turbine generator of 22MW, the AVR setting was recently changed that is, RCC (Reactive Current Compensation) gain setting was changed from 0.06 to 0.0. The vendor explained that, as RCC is like a voltage droop characteristics with respect to MVAr loading, there shall be a 6% drop in voltage with an increased load and AVR response time might increase.

But my question is, if the RCC is made 0%, then the voltage maintains a constant per unit value. Therefore, an increase or decrease of MVAr has no effect on the voltage (that is auto voltage regulation).

Because of this these are the questions that may arise:

1. If I sync my GT in parallel to the Grid, all my MVAr output suddenly raises to its capacity feeding to grid. Earlier, using voltage control, the MVAr was shared depending on the raise in voltage. This might not be possible with the recent modification.

2. Let me say, I have two gas turbine generators having 0% RCC. If I run two GTs in droop mode and in synchronism, then how do you transfer MVAr load on one machine to the other without Voltage control. Will this modified setting pose a threat of hunting of two machines finally leading to motoring of a single GT ?

I agree that there is a mode called VAR/PF where using VAR mode, I can control MVAr generation. But, the voltage control is the well suited control I believe.

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Arjun Sharma