Soliciting Career Advice

A

AEWynn

Career Advice

I am considering making a career change and getting back onto an Automation/Controls career path after being away from that industry for several years. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the highlights of my experience. After earning my BSEE in 1991 I went to work for an Operating Equipment Manufacturer responsible for the design, development and deployment of the control systems. Through the year 2000, my responsibilities ranged from project management to detailed design for controls systems.

My responsibilities included control panel design, PLC design & programming, HMI programming, servo control design & programming, project management as well as system startup and commissioning. Equipment experience includes, packaging equipment, operating equipment, boilers, chillers, non-woven production lines, and accumulation systems. Industry experience includes food & pharmaceutical, automotive, oil & gas and no-woven paper products. My control hardware experience includes PLCS (Allen-Bradley, Modicon, Siemens/TI), HMI (Wonderware, Allen-Bradley PanelView), control panel design and associated hardware.

In 2000, after completing my Business degree, I took a corporate role responsible for systems integration. My responsibilities included the development of corporate standards regarding manufacturing systems and interfaces. After a few years (2005) the role morphed into an IT Portfolio Management role, which is when my career began to diverge from Control Systems. After a few years my responsibilities evolved to more of a financial reporting role. Then two years ago I started a business (nothing to do with control systems), sold it just last year, which brings me current.

I have always enjoyed designing, building and commissioning control systems, and am seriously considering getting back into the industry. But before I begin this uphill battle, I would like to get an idea of what resistance I should expect from potential employers and how to address those concerns.

Thanks in advance for your help.