Hall/Magnetic Sensor

B

Biju CG

One of our customer has requested us to find a replacement for a faulty analogue Magnetic Sensor 15 years old. No specifications are available now. It is used for sensing a toothed wheel of 2,5mm tooth width, 3mm thickness, 96 tooths and 78 mm dia.

We have tired with Hamlin hall sensor (digital type) for the purpose but the old controller was not sensing. Any Help???

I can think of 4 common and several not so common output configurations for this type of sensors, so we need type numbers for the controller or old sensor to be of any help...

Geir

Thanks Geir. I have measured 13.5 VDC on Vcc line of the sensor from controller and same voltage on input line to the controller with respect to the common terminal. The Hamlin sensor o/p will be low when a tooth is detected. But controller is not responding. Why i/p line is with 13.5 VDC level? Pulled Up to VCC?

regards
Biju CG

Hi,

on these pages you should find all info on the sensor: http://www.hamlin.com/technical-detail-hall-sensor.cfm

Then you need to figure out if your controller can handle this type of signal. If the controller is supposed to be used with a sensor that is an active 2-wire device, it is normal to have a voltage on the input terminal.

Does the voltage vary when you turn the engine or flick a magnet in front of the sensor?

Geir