Driving a Stepper Motor

H

Hans

I am interested in setting up a system that will control a stepper motor. The stepper motor I currently intend on using is a NEMA 23 triple stack stepper motor.

As I understand it, I will need a stepper motor drive to control the motor, and a PLC or PC to control the drive. I have had difficulty finding the necessary hardware for this. Applied Motion was recommended to me as a good company for these types of products, so I have been mostly looking at what they have to offer. I came across the STR8 drive, which seems like it would complete the task I need.

Controlling the drive is where I have had the most trouble. Someone from Applied Motion said that I should use a PLC that outputs 'step and direction' pulses. I am not sure if there is another name for this but I have not been able to find any PLCs that have name this as their output. I have also considered using a PC to control the drive but do not know the specifics of what I would need for that either.

The stepper motor will be driving a lead screw on which a platform is attached. All I want to do is be able to enter multiple locations for the platform to move to, and have the stepper motor turn the required number of rotations for this to be completed.

I have never done this before so any help would be appreciated. I am mainly looking for advice on if the STR8 would be a good drive, and what would be the best components, specific models of PLCs or the components needed for a PC, to control this drive. Thanks!