Linux Ethernet/IP Driver

B

Bob Peterson

A customer is converting all of their business systems from Windows to Red Hat Linux.

As part of this conversion, they would like to be able to collect data directly from their AB CompactLogix PLCs.

if this was the Windows world, it would be easy to do as there are all kinds of packages to do this, but I am not real familiar with what is available to allow Linux systems to talk to ethernet/IP.

Any suggestions?

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

If you can find something native in linux that would probably be your first choice, but alternatively could you use a windows PC as a gateway server and store the data to the linux server's database? The windows PC could be a "black box" with a hardened embedded windows installation if the customer wants a more stable and hands-off windows installation. I don't know the nature of the data that they want to collect (Polled, event driven, custom parsing/processing?), their linux database and structure, etc. so this may or may not be a good solution.

KEJR

Hi,

Automated Solutions' ASComm.NET can be used with Visual Studio .NET and Mono framework to build Linux compatible applications.

Using Visual Studio .NET as your development environment, you can build Windows Forms apps in C# (tested) and VB (fairly new according to mono website, not tested) and run them on Linux with Mono framework installed.

Contact Automated Solutions to obtain an example application that will run under Linux.

-Mark
http://automatedsolutions.com/

You could use the Python 'cpppo' Module to read/write ControlLogix data by Tag name or by CIP Object, Instance and Attribute numbers. For example, on Linux:<pre>
$ pip install cpppo
$ python -m cpppo.server.enip.client --address <logix-ip-address> --print Tag_Name[0-10]</pre>

M

Michael Surma

I Developed a windows console application in c# that used Advanced HMI to talk to an AB PLC over EthernetIP. It also sent info up to AWS cloud storage. Much to my surprise, it ran successfully, the first time I tried it, unaltered on a Beaglebone Black board running Angstrom Linux with mono installed.