Governor Response

S

Shaker Hashlan

what is the Governor Response and how to calculated and size it?
Assuming I'm talking about a GE 7EA units with a M6 control.

I know it has a relation with the Droop but using the formula that I found.

Gr = (Freq * Unit Capacity)/(Droop * Initial Frequency)

now I have No idea what all of that mean, so any help guys?

Thank you

Was there a narrative description or definition of "Governor Response" in the material you were reading. was that at least a definition for the variables for the equation of "Governor Response" you posted

I'll ASSUME "Governor Response" refers to the expected corresponding change in load as the result of a grid disturbance.

If you define "Freq" as the deviation as a result of the disturbance (freq before minus freq after), the equation simply calculated the amount of expect load change based upon your unit size and regulation setting.

for example; a 0.1Hz deviation for a 100MW unit with 5% regulation operation in a 50Hz system is expected to change load by 4Mws. (decrease 4 Mw if freq goes up and increase if freq goes down)

that is my best guess!

Governor response is one of several terms which describe regulation--also known as Droop speed control. Also known as speed governing, speed regulation, proportional speed control, regulation percentage--they all refer to the same basic function.

GE calls it droop speed control. Depending on the age and type of combustion system you may have either "straight" droop speed control, or Constant-Settable Droop Speed Control. They both do the same thing--but in slightly different ways. They control the fuel flowing to the turbine in proportion to the error between the turbine speed reference (TNR) and the actual turbine speed (TNH).

This topic--droop speed control as performed by GE heavy duty gas turbine Speedtronic turbine control systems--has been covered MANY times before on control.com. You can use the cleverly hidden 'Search' feature at the far right of the Menu bar of every control.com page to look for threads and answers (lots of them). It is suggested you use the Search Help feature the first time you use Search because although Searching on control.com is quick and powerful--it's not intuitive.

Please write back if you have more questions or need clarification.

As for the "sizing" question, ...., I don't think I've ever heard it put quite that way before. It usually does <b>NOT</b> require any change, and if it does it should only be done in consultation with the turbine packager <b>AND</b> the local grid regulator(s). Because there are usually requirements (laws in some parts of the world, actually) about what the droop setpoint (percentage) should be for a particular type of turbine connected to the grid. And, when droop is changed on a GE gas turbine control panel it affects lots of other things as well--and sometimes it affects them poorly.

In general, steam turbines are usually configured with 5% droop, and most gas turbines are configured with 4% droop.

Lastly, when testing for the actual droop setpoint/action of gas turbines because so many factors can affect the Base Load power output, great care must be taken. As described in several threads. Load the turbine to a TNR of, say, 101.0% and record the load. Then load the turbine to a TNR of, say, 102.0% and record the load. <b>DO NOT USE PRE-SELECTED LOAD WHILE TAKING THE DATA!</b> Then using the gas turbine nameplate data for Base (or Peak, if so capable--it will list the Peak rating on the gas turbine nameplate) you can calculate how much the droop setpoint/action is on the running unit. Approximately, because there are factors (such as IGV Exhaust Temperature Control being active) which can have an impact on gas turbine performance and therefore droop action.

Please write back after you've per used some Archived threads.