Mk6 Speedtronic Capability

S

Sceptical Fred

Is a Ge Mk6 Speedtronic capable of dividing two numbers both with values between 0 and 1 to three decimal places and produce an accurate reliable result? I know trying to do this with a Mk5 would not yeild good results but am not sure about the capability of the Mk6.
If this was not programmable by the user could it be programmed into the eeproms by Ge?

Also can the Mk6 deal with a square root calculation and negative values?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated especially from CSA.

Thanks in advance.

Skeptical Fred,

All the Speedtronic panels can perform this, it's just a matter of how. The Mark IV and Mark V use fixed point math (there is a description of this in either the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980, or the Mark V Application Manual, GEH-6195). The Mark VI and Mark VIe both use floating point math--much easier.

If you look in the Toolbox 'Help' function for the Mark VI, you should be able to find much more help on all the various math functions available. I believe the Mark V Application Manual also has a section on Mark V Primitive Blocks--which are the various math functions, compare blocks, etc.

If you look in most any Mark V CSP or Mark VI .m6b file you should find a lot of examples of various math functions. Again, the issue for most people when trying to do maths in the Mark V is that is uses fixed point math--but that's just a matter of learning and becoming accustomed to it. And, again, there should be lots of examples of usages in just about any Mark V CSP.

Toolbox and ToolboxST have better 'Help' functions for various blocks and functions. GE is slowly transitioning to lots of "macros"--to hide how functions are performed as much as possible. (Isn't this fun?) They are difficult to understand--in the beginning, but they also use lots of math functions such as divide, square root, negative numbers, etc.

So, lose the skepticism and use the various 'Help' functions and manuals to ease your worried mind. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need."

(No; I can't send anyone GE Speedtronic manuals.)

L

Less Skeptical Fred

CSA,

Thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge. I will put this concern behind me.

Fred.