MARK VI TOOLBOOKS

K

KHAIRI

Hello
I will be glad if any one helping me on learning tool box of ge mark vi i want learn it from 0 i am waiting for the teacher

Khairi,

You are asking for someone to teach you something that is usually taught in a classroom setting--and which costs tens of thousands of US dollars.

And by World Wide Web.

There really is NOTHING like digging in and learning for yourself--and if you have specific questions you can ask here. There is some decent 'Help' available for Toolbox (like MS-Windows Help).

But, if you--like most others and their managers and supervisors--think that by "learning Toolbox" or "learning the Mark VI" you are going to learn about GE-design heavy duty gas turbines and how they operate and how they are to be operated, you're dead wrong, and so is everyone else who believes that.

Toolbox is a configuration and troubleshooting tool--that's all it is. Once you become proficient at "reading" and understanding Function Block Diagrams and relay ladder logic, and after you've looked and studied long and hard enough about the block internals, you will eventually come to understand how the control system is programmed to operate the turbine--and what's supposed to happen when and under what circumstances.

But, that only gets you so far. The entire control system is comprised of all the field devices and instruments connected to the Mark VI--<b>NOT JUST THE MARK VI.</b> You need to know and understand the various systems--by reading and understanding the P&IDs for the various systems.

You also need to read the various System Descriptions in the unit Operation & Service Manuals--they're not long, and they can very much help explain the INTENT of the systems (sometimes they are not 100% correct about the devices and the configuration--but they are usually pretty good basic descriptions what's SUPPOSED to happen (the 'intent'), and that can be very helpful when you're just learning.

But remember: <b>Do NOT believe everything you read in a sentence or paragraph or document about the way <i>YOUR</i> turbine operates. THE <i>ONLY</i> "DOCUMENT" THAT IS 100% ACCURATE IS THE APPLICATION CODE IN THE MARK VI. FULL STOP. PERIOD.</b>

You can also find some useful information in the Control Specification drawing, but, it too should not always be trusted to be 100% accurate.

You have to be capable of critical thinking when using the available documentation for GE-design heavy duty gas turbines. You should be able to trust only two sets of "documents" 99.8973759%: the application code running in the Mark VI, and the P&IDs (GE also calls the P&IDs the 'Piping Schematic Drawings).

You will do yourself a HUGE favor if you obtain your own copy of the P&IDs and start studying them. They are very nearly always 100% accurate--and if they aren't, then you need to make mark-ups on your copy to indicate the as-found condition.

Unfortunately, printing the application code from the Mark VI is VERY ugly and consumes hundreds of sheets of paper--it's very nearly useless. Especially compared to previous sequencing/logic diagrams provided with GE Speedtronic turbine control systems.

What I usually end up doing is using the MS-Windows screen capture/window capture hot-key sequences to copy application code from Toolbox to the MS-Windows clipboard, and then paste the Clipboard contents into a MS-Word or MS-Wordpad document, and then printing the pages and making notes on them for future reference. It's not easy--especially the first time--but it's about the only way to get printed copies of bits and pieces of sequencing to study away from the HMI.

You're probably able to open a .m6b file with Toolbox. What I recommend is copying the .m6b file to a special folder, and then making it read-only (using the file attributes) and then opening that copy with Toolbox. That way you can't "accidentally" make any changes to the running version and cause a minor or major difference that would be very difficult to recover from. Toolbox won't allow any changes to made to a read-only file; it will only allow you to look at the file--and you can still connect to the Mark VI to see running data. It's the safest way to "have your cake and eat it too" with the Mark VI. You can use the Trend Recorder, and save trend files for later review; you can do lots of things--but it won't let you make changes to the file. And since it's a copy of the main .m6b file in a different folder, you won't be messing up the running configuration at all. Ever. No way.

Hope this helps!

Just remember: Any control system can be configured and programmed to control and protect a GE-design heavy duty gas turbine. But, the persons doing the programming and configuration have to know how to configure and program the system to work with the field devices and to control and protect the turbine using GE-design heavy duty gas turbine control philosophies and practices. And, that's not available in Toolbox, or anywhere. Even in GE (sad, but true). So, to be a good technician you have to understand the entire control system--including all of the systems (which have the field devices that are connected to the Speedtronic) so just learning the Mark VI isn't going to make you--or anyone--a good technician. First you have to be a good operator--to know how the turbine is supposed to work. And then you can learn to use Toolbox to know if the turbine is working the way it's supposed to. (At least that's what a former colleague of mine used to say--and he was dead right.)