Steam TG Low Frequency Operation in Island Mode

S

Storm Rider

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here. I would like to ask you, if I keep the steam input same and run the TG at 49 Hz frequency, can I generate more power than I have generated in case of 50 Hz operation?

Storm Rider,

It's not possible to run a turbine-generator set in parallel with (<b>synchronized</b> to) other generators at a frequency or speed that is different from the other machines.

If you're referring to a machine that is isolated from others, operating in "island mode, then yes, theoretically it would be possible--except that all the induction motors being powered by the turbine-generator set would be operating at less than 98% of rated speed and would likely be drawing more current (power) than rated so your extra power would be consumed by the motors operating at less than rated speed.

There are few new ideas in the power generation world--that being said there will always be a unique idea or unique implementation that will rock the world at some point. So, keep trying to think up new ideas to shake things up.