Data Acquisition from Siemens S7 317-2-PN/DP PLC

A

Ankur Gajjar

Hi guys,

I have implemented ON-OFF temperature control along with heater and 2 wire RTD using S7-317-2-PN/DP PLC, and I have saved the actual temperature value in one memory word with real datatype.

Now, I want to save the value of the actual temperature (saved into particular memory word) on some defined time interval (let's say per 30 seconds) and want to have database of these values along with trend (if possible). So, is it possible to take these data values in excel sheet, Matlab, Labview from PLC and supposed to have one sort of database along with the trend of the temperature w.r.t. time?

Regards,
Ankur

G

Garry Shortt

Hi Ankur

The steps involved are to log the information into the PLC as you state every 30 seconds.

I have written VB code to pull data out of an Omron PLC using Host Link protocol and out of a Do-More Automation Direct PLC using Modbus TCP.

Once you have established communication to the PLC you can read the pointer for your log to determine the amount of registers to read. You can then reset the value in your pointer.

Take the values that you have read and put into a database. Using excel or text file does not work well over a long period of time.

Currently I do not have sample programs in VB to pull data from the Siemens PLC via profibus or profinet. If anyone here has a sample VB code, can you email it to me?

[email protected]

Hi Ankur

Because you have a PN/DP PLC, you can use the Ethernet interface to write data over that to any database by using SQL4automation. This software is only a gateway, called Connector. On the PLC side you are sending the data by a function block to the Connector - the Connector will forward it to an database over ODBC. So every "database" is possible that supports ODBC - also Excel does so.

check www.sql4automation.com

Regards
Roger