Loading a BLDC Motor

A

Ansari

Dear All,

I want to test the speed regulation and speed control characteristics of a BLDC motor under no load and full load. In simulation software like MATLAB/Simulink, it is really easy. However, in practical implementation, I am having great difficulty on figuring out how to exert a load on the motor shaft. I am considering two motor models, one is very small ~60W (Hurst Dyname, from Microchip website) and the other is ~1kW (Kollmorgen AKM24F). I have no practical experience with load testing of motors.

From some research, I figured that hysteresis or Eddy current brakes may do the job. However, some of this equipment is really expensive, and I am not entirely sure of their usage. Furthermore, at our university, getting hardware equipment is a long and painful process.

Another way that I came across was through coupling an appropriately sized dc motor (or any other motor) to the shaft of the BLDC motor, which will act as a load for the BLDC motor. It should be easy to obtain a small motor from the local market. At this point, the question becomes that of the amount of load that will be exerted. Say that the 60W BLDC has a rated torque of 0.28 N.m, how do I select an appropriately sized motor (or another load) to ensure that the load will exert rated torque at rated speed?

Any other simpler solutions, that avoid having to purchase expensive electromagnetic brakes?

I thank you for taking the time to read it, and appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,
Ansari