HMI w/ movable icons

S

Steven Smith

As part of a specification I'm creating for a potential customer, they want to be able to track movement of vehicles and rail cars on their property (and possibly grow into tracking inventory movement as well). Was thinking HMI might fill the bill. In my initial searches, all the HMI solutions I find have static icons. Does anyone know of an HPI package that allows users to move the icons on the screen? (Keep in mind, I'm not talking about the design phase - I'm referring to when the package is in use with the customer.)

Thanks in advance!

P

PLC Programmer

SCADAs can be an easy and cheap solution. Easily integrated to the existing system.

Why use an HMI?

Is the customer planning additional controls at local locations? Or just a main control (From like a control bench).

Please share..

S

Steven Smith

Original spec from customer is to have an interface that tracks position of rail cars on their property. Ideally, we'd have an automated system for this, but for phase 1, customer wants operator to physically move the rail car, then in the interface drag an icon to indicate the new position of the car. (He was really hot on the drag and drop idea.)

What little bit I know about HMIs seemed to indicate that this could be a solution. I'm open to suggestions...

> SCADAs can be an easy and cheap solution. Easily integrated to the existing system.

>Why use an HMI?

> Is the customer planning additional controls at local locations? Or just a
> main control (From like a control bench).

P

PLC programmer

It should be possible if you develop a program in a platform like Java/VB, interfacing it with the main controls (PLC/DCS) and install the application on a touch pad.

Alas! such a program should be specifically designed. As such a functionality is not available in the SCADA/HMI industry directly yet (not yet for the big names).

HMIs or Hybrid PLCs directly do not support the drag drop function. but it exists in the embedded systems world.

So basically the solution should be an embedded system with such a GUI interfaced with a PLC. Its costly but possible.

You can assure reliability for the normal backup system you provide and provide a cheaper GUI solution.