Electrical Rotating Equipment Training

A

Ajiit

I am Studying HND Electrical and Electronics Engineering In College and in my last Year. I would like the geeks in here to advice me on how to train as a Electrical Rotating Equipment Technician (Like Turbines, Generators etc.). I have used google to search but all the courses I see are for apprentices (I'm too old for apprenticeship) or for people who are already in the industry.

I live in the Midlands(UK). Your contributions appreciated.

B

Bob Johnston

Hi Arjiit,

I started my career in the UK a long time ago (around 1963). I did an Inst. Tech. apprenticeship and an HND in Electrical Engineering at night school and was lucky enough to end up Offshore North Sea which is where I got my first turbine experience. I don't know what it is like in the UK now to either try and get some industrial experience as a graduate or some further training. (I thought they still had apprenticeships for mature students??).

Maybe you could try the Operations route first as an Operations Tech. to get some hands on experience. Have you tried the major and minor power companies, and also maybe offshore UK. You will probably need to accept that you won't get paid as much as your qualifications are worth but that is pretty much the same as doing an apprenticeship.
Second option is overseas, have you tried?

Please reply and let us know what you think, maybe somebody younger from the UK might have some ideas.