Electromagnatic Clutch

A

abdi

hi,

In GE MARK V frame 9 non-dln now running at gas fuel, but we need to repair the main fuel oil pump. then we disassemble it from electromagnetic clutch after repair it and want to instal it, we can't. because the electromagnetic clutch run free and has high speed. we check the 20cf-1 (electromagnetic clutch solenoid), this solenoid not energized.

Please help me to stop this clutch without shutdown the unit.

Thanks a lot.

abdi,

The clearances between the clutch plates are very small and what's probably happening is that without the mechanical "drag" of the liquid fuel pump the output shaft of the clutch is spinning.

<b>HOWEVER:</b> If for some reason the clutch plates have seized then it would appear as if it's energized when it's not.

In either case <b><i>it is extremely dangerous to try to stop the output shaft of the liquid fuel pump clutch when the turbine is running--</i>EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!</b>

Please, do not try to re-connect the liquid fuel pump to the clutch when the turbine is running. Serious or fatal consequences could occur. It was very lucky no one was injured when removing the liquid fuel pump while the turbine was running; please don't expect luck to save someone (perhaps two people!) again by trying to re-connect the liquid fuel pump when the turbine is running. Do the right thing and shut the unit down to re-install the liquid fuel pump. It would be impossible to properly align the pump to the clutch when the turbine was running, anyway.

We see some very strange things on this forum sometimes! Do you guys have a Permit for Work system in place? If yes, how did anyone ever allow a permit to be issued to do this extremely dangerous job (As CSA commented, you are lucky you didn't kill someone). If you don't have a permit system, I think you need one. Surely you must at least have some kind of Safety Officer in your plant.

I know this a little of topic, but safety is so important. I know the pressures from Operations to keep a machine running are very high, having been there myself many times, but these pressures should never put peoples life in danger.