Instrumentation Test Equipment

M

Marco Cabrera

I think this topic is going to be interesting and helpful.

For a college project, I need quotable information about actual test equipment use by instrumentation, analytical instrumentation, and other automation and controls professionals.

Please consider responding to the following questions about one of the devices listed below (or other devices). I will use your professional answers as subject matter expertise in a college assignment. Your written reply will be helpful, not only to me, but to other persons entering the field of instrumentation and controls.

Thank you!

Marco and Victor
Lee College
Baytown, Texas

Considering a device from the list below, based upon your experience or expert knowledge:
What is the purpose of use?
What is the application of use?
What is the frequency of use?
What is a scenario/anecdote of use?

Communicator, Milli-Ammeter, Ohm Meter, Volt Meter, Transmitter simulator, Temperature calibrator, Pressure Calibrator, Test Gauge, Electric Manometer, Inclined Manometer, Oscilloscope, etc.

Somebody wants their homework done for them! :)

I'll bite, even though I'm gonna burn for helping two guys cheat instead of my usual one...

Communicator:
>What is the purpose of use?
Used by Kirk when he needs beaming up.

>What is the application of use?
Generally beaming people around, sometimes to hear Scotty whine about "Givin 'er all she's got"

>What is the frequency of use?
At least twice per episode.

>What is a scenario/anecdote of use?
Generally some planet that looks suspiciously like some spot in Southern California.

Milli-Ammeter, Ohm Meter, Volt Meter
Taking measurements. BTW, they come in a unit that does all three of these things (and more) these days. We call them "VOM's" (or just a meter).

Generally to either check to see if your Volts, Amps, and/or Ohms are within the expected range. Most often used to track down *why* you have no volts, etc.

At least once a week for me.

Today we had a Turck I/O stick keep dropping out. A quick check with the voltmeter told us that it wasn't because of voltage.

Transmitter simulator:
To create the same signal that you would be getting from a (working) transmitter. Does a good job of determining where the problem might be.

Process controls Anything that runs in the 4ma - 20ma, 0Vdc - 10VDC, or some variation of these values.

Mostly as a Preventative Maintenance exercise (analog stuff tends to drift, you need to be able to find out where the drift is coming from), but also used for troubleshooting and even for start up.

Suppose I wanted to start up a drive, but my process couldn't be completed until the drive was commissioned. Well, I could use the transmitter to provide a run reference or even the PV.

Temperature & Pressure calibrator: Used for much the same purpose as the Transmitter simulator.

Test Gauge:
Used for taking readings outside of the influence of electronics (which is a fancy way of telling you not to have blind faith in your controls)

I use them when the ancient pressure transducer card on one of our Ube's has yet again fallen out of favor with the electron gods (and it doesn't want to take a calibration).

Rarely. I try not to be confused with a Millwright, and using their stuff is a sure way to make that happen.

A good example is when one goes south and now your Ube isn't developing the pressure required to press a good part. Assuming that you are in a hurry, and that the thing has already been down for hours before they call you out (get used to it), having one the Production folks run up the pressure while another reads off the gauge will allow you to get the thing back into the ball park until it can be taken down for maintenance.

Electric Manometer, Inclined Manometer:
Measuring pressure.

>What is the application of use? Connect it to your measuring ports.

Not often, used as a PM tool and to back check your electronic transducers.

You have a flow meter that you suspect that is drifting off to readings unknown. Use the mano to get it back in spec.

Oscilloscope:

To see things that a voltmeter won't show you. Alternatively, to look cool around other Geeks (let me know how that works out for you).

In general, rare for an engineer. They have a hard enough time using a voltmeter.

For me? Six times a year, I suppose.

Suppose you had a noisy comm signal that was causing a glitch ever so often. A standard VOM won't show anything at all, you will have to hook up the scope to find it.

A year or so ago we had a manual weld gun that was popping the operator every so often. Rather than replacing the operator as needed (nobody ever wants to go with the obvious solution, go figure), we had to quantify the size of the pulse for those pesky safety dweebs. A VOM showed that it was in the order of 6 volts. My scope showed that the pulse was in the order of 200 volts with a duration of a handful of milliseconds.

Etc? Naw, you've had enough assistance for one night. :)