Endress + Hauser level transmitter

C

Christozz

I have a 4-20mA E+H level transmitter that fluctuates when running a process of 1000 degree celsius. I swapped the transmitters but the problem doesn't go away. both the cable and transmitter are exposed. I haven't measured everything and mapped the echoes.

Please advise.

W
First, what kind of level transmitter is it? You imply it is ultrasonic, or pulse radar ("echoes") but you don't say which.

What is the temperature at the sensor? What is the temperature rating of the sensor?

If it is ultrasonic, the temperature of the process is certainly affecting the crystal in the transmitter. If it is radar, lots of things could be happening.

Please give more data.

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

Thanks Walt for the reply.

It is a radar transmitter with a temperature range of -4 to 200 degree Celsius. Pressure is 64bar.

I've managed to sort the fluctuation issue by changing the medium to turbulence. The thing is I use it to granulate molte material. When I run the granulation water only it reads 70%. When starting to granulate, the level drops smoothly to 48%. The transmitter is installed on down pipe with the following measures: 3.55m length, span is 1m, and diameter is 195mm.

W
Ok, was there a typo in your first post? I thought you said the temperature was much higher than the rated performance temperature of the unit.

If you can get the fluctuation under control, you¹re probably doing fine. It is very much likely that the problem (if there is one) is that the unit is representing actual conditions, rather than static conditions. This is especially likely if you are agitating the material. If you¹re agitating the material, the actual level may be different than the measurement you WANT, which is ³what the level would be if it weren't being agitated.

Good luck,

Walt Boyes, Life Fellow, ISA; Fellow InstMC
Chartered Measurement and Control Technologist
Spitzer and Boyes LLC

**Spitzer and Boyes LLC publishes the Industrial Automation and Process Control INSIDER (www.iainsider.com)**

Hello,
I have an endress hauser level transmitter FMR51, which is a free wave radar type transmitter. It is installed in a bulk storage tank to measure the base oil in the tank. The transmitter is installed in a stilling well.
Problem is, I cannot get the correct level reading. I have configured the instrument, input all the required parameters. Even tried mapping function of the transmitter. But the transmitter does not show correct levels at any point. When I configure the transmitter in empty tank condition, I get 0 or 5 or 6 mm level on the display. But as level rises in the tank the error increases with it.
Please suggest a solution