Reading information from Honeywell SCADA into Yokogawa CS3000

S

SRINI

Hi,

I have CS3000 dcs system and Now I have another PLC system Honeywell connected to a SCADA system. Can I read some data from the SCADA PC in to the DCS system in any way? Pl let me know if it is possible. Else I will have to install RTD cards and read them.

--Srinivas

There is a high likelihood that the CS3000 is an OPC client which can talk to an OPC server whose 'driver' can, in turn, can talk to the SCADA via some protocol.

You'll need to find out what protocol the SCADA can talk and whether the CS3000 is an OPC client. Then go shopping for an OPC server. Google is your friend.

Hi Srini,

As always - the less you can rely on PC's/Windows/SCADA etc the better.

Have a look at what communications options the PLC offers, i.e.; whether the PLC can act as a Modbus slave or even better Modbus TCP slave.

You might find the SCADA interfaces to the PLC using Modbus - which means the CS3000 could read/write directly to the PLC.

Alternately - if your architecture allows the comms link to fail with minimal operational impact, then the SCADA package is probably an acceptable bridge.

Have a look at the documentation for the SCADA package - can it act as a Modbus Slave?

I am not familiar with the current Honeywell SCADA (is this the product formally known as SCAN?) - it may provide a Yokogawa connection ...

Otherwise - Yokogawa CS3000 / VP products have an OPC Client license which is pretty easy to use - it will install on one of your HIS and can act as a bridge for OPC read/writes from third party systems.
Even if you purchase a 3rd party OPC server from Google - I think you will need the Yokogawa OPC client license.

Also - Last time used this I noted that every "write" from the 3rd party system using OPC generated a log message on the HIS - while this is good for logging, it can be weighty if you have a lot of writes.

Generally I used this path for for one-off VB tasks reading / writing batch data.

Yokogawa also have products SIOS and UGW which act as OPC bridges - though these sound like overkill for your application.

My recommendation is to replace the SCADA with the Yokogawa HIS, reading and writing all data using Modbus TCP.
That way you only have a single operator interface to maintain.

Cheers,
PB