Alternative Programming Software for A-B Micrologix PLC

M

Mark Chaplin

I am looking for an alternative programming software program for my Micrologix 1000 PLC. I know about RS Logix 500 and have heard of AI 500, however I have little funds and would like something in the shareware/freeware genre if available. If not, a low cost alternative would be nice. Better yet, an eval copy of RSLogix would be nice. ;-) Thanks Mark

B

Brian Lee Mast

Rockwell and AB have pretty strict licencing and copy protection mechanisms on their PLC programming software. Evaluation copies normally have processor communications software disabled. As an alternative, you could probably get a brand new PLC with programming software from Automation Direct for less than the cost of programming software for the Micrologix. If you are just using this for learning purposes, this little guy would work fine... http://www.automationdirect.com/store/plc/dl105.html Good luck, Brian Lee Mast. P.E. Trippel/Mast Consulting LLC Seattle, Washington [email protected]

L

Larry Lawver

Mark--- There are no other viable choices, and no evaluation packages. Some alternatives to consider from the A-B universe: 1.) RSLogix500 Starter Software (Basic functions for all SLC500s and MLs) $500 2.) Hand Held Programmer for ML1000 $250 3.) Use a Pico controller rather than a MicroLogix1000. The Pico can be programmed from its front panel, or via software you can download for free from www.ab.com. Price points for similar I/O counts are comparable to ML1000. If you have one existing ML1000 and you just need some changes made, then I hope you'll try my last suggestion: 4.) Find a local controls integrator who already has RSLogix500 on a notebook computer, and form a continuing business relationship. Contact your A-B distributor for help in finding integrators. For literally hundreds of my clients, this has turned out to be the most cost-effective solution. Hope this helps! Larry Lawver Rexel / Central Florida

L

Larry Lawver

Curt--- Are you seriously proposing replacing a $200-$300 self-contained industrial programmable controller with a flimsy $500 garage crap PC, $0 worth of complex free software, and $300 worth of real world I/O? How does this make any sense? I can see a wide variety of uses for the linuxplc, but I have never seen a case for PC-based control under 100 I/O points. In fact, I think the strengths of PC-based control grow in general with the size and complexity of the project. At the 10 in 6 out level, PC-based standalone control is an insane concept. Meanwhile, I've provided support for several of my PLC customers this weekend, but I couldn't investigate what I might be missing in my evaluation of your comments because www.linuxplc.com has been down all weekend. Hope this helps! Larry Lawver Rexel / Central Florida

M

Mark Chaplin

Thanks guys and gals,

I did manage to muster up a copy of RS Logix 500. Now I just need to learn how to use it ;-)

Thanks again
Mark

V

vivek samyal

If you want to program MicroLogix 1000/SLC fixed/SLC 500 fixed/01/02/04/05 , old APS s/w is the answer (Advanced Programming S/W DOS based)
I have a FREE copy that i can give it to you, please email me at [email protected]
thanks
vivek samyal