ABB Bailey Composer Programming

C

Canman

We are working on entering work orders through our existing Bailey system with MFP02 controllers. The work order numbers are a seven (7) digit number and trying to enter this number through the Manual Set Constant Block (#68) causes the processor to round off the number. We can enter through two (2) RMSC blocks and have the Bailey do a math function to get the exact 7-digit number, but operations want to enter only through one block. Any suggestions?

Thanks

C

Chris Jennings

Is there a good reason for doing this kind of logic within the processor? It sounds more suited to a good quality HMI or SCADA. Unless you are using the work order number for some kind of control it sounds like massive overkill. Can you explain why you are using a DCS controller for managing work order numbers?

800xA integrates with some CMMS systems like Maximo and allows operators to enter work orders against assets shown on the HMI. It doesn't reside within the controllers instead sending all the data over OPC or database connection. Which HMI are you using?

Chris

> Is there a good reason for doing this kind of logic within the processor? It
> sounds more suited to a good quality HMI or SCADA. Unless you are using the work
> order number for some kind of control it sounds like massive overkill. Can you
> explain why you are using a DCS controller for managing work order numbers?

This was a request from operations. We use Oracle E1 for the work order numbers and for whatever reason, they felt it best to enter on a machine control screen for tracking. I really think they are wanting to trend through the historian and show the work order number against a trending graph. I have stated the Bailey is not for this purpose, but am getting some resistance. Believe it or not, we already have Capstone trending all data in the mill and they are still wanting to be able to put it on a few screens only. We do use the ABB Process Portal B1.1 on the HMI side of the system. Thanks for your reply Chris.

C

Chris Jennings

Using Process Portal B makes things a bit easier. You can connect it via OPC to another source and then display that information on the HMI screens. I believe Matrikon make a OPC Server for SQL Server or Oracle which you could use to source the work order information. Then do all the scripting and data manipulation in Process Portal B to allow you to display the data in the way required by operations.

I personally haven't done this but I think it would be a lot more sensible than putting extra logic in the controllers. Doing it on old MFPs isn't great either because they aren't very fast compared to the BRC controllers.

Matrikon are very helpful with this kind of stuff and you could discuss the project with them and they will give you an idea of what is required to do it using OPC.

Chris