Choosing a Distributed Control System for the Crude Oil and Natural Gas Extraction Plant

C

Chris

I am looking for large-scale green field project in gas & oil industry with size of: 15 redundant controllers, about 1500 discreet IO, and 1000 analog IO, 2 eng stations, 4 operator stations, 10 operator touch panels, SIS integrated with SIL2.

I plan to take full advantage of smart field instrumentation, basic and advanced control algorithms with auto-tuning option, object-oriented programming in control and graphic modules, minimum IEC-61131-3 languages, diagnostics and maintenance. The digital communications criteria has high importance. We plan to integrate a high number of subordinated PLCs with Modbus or Profibus DP protocol (depending on which will be cheaper).

I will be thankful for any advice/suggestions.

Chris (PL)

ISaGRAF would be better, as it has IEC 61131-3 and Modbus support.

Cheers,
Manesh
manesh.v at sunlux-india. com

V
I am currently working with Murphy Oil, and we are currently have an on-going project of a Natural Gas Processing Plant/Platform.

We chose to use the Honeywell Experion PKS R300 System for DCS and Honeywell Safety Manager System for Functional Safety. The overall systems are excellent, provided that the PKS system is SIL 2 approved and the safety manager is SIL 3 approved. They comply to IEC61508 & IEC61511. The safety manager redundancy is excellent with QMR technology and it works fine!

The IEC61131-3 languages covers FBD and SFC for a more user friendly environment and ease of control logic development. It also has the OOP features for both control and graphics.

The PKS system has an integrated Opertune Profitloop assistant for easy auto-tuning features with an auto step-test for open or close loops. For a third party integration, they are compatible with any open communication such as Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP/IP, OPC, Modbus Danial/Omni/Enron with any structure, p2p, multidrop, etc.

They also have a wide range of SMART transmitters; HART, Fieldbus and wireless. They are like a one stop center for me and I love to work with their experienced engineers who really understand our needs here. The prices are fine too.

The ABB 800xA system would suit this system the best and is already running in installations similar to this onshore and offshore.

N
Are you sure the PKS system is SIL2 certified? I dont think it is.

Also, the Safety Manager is a good product but just wait until you have to make online changes! Reach for the hair restorer.

At first glance of your requirements just about any of the major vendors (Honeywell, Invensys, ABB, Emerson, Yokogawa) and probably several of the smaller outfits could do the job for you.

The system you have doesn't look particularly big unless there is a lot of I/O coming through the data links.

My advice is write a comprehensive specification that allows the vendors to size the system and produce an initial architecture and price. Then evaluate the vendors (at least 3) against a standard set of questions you've developed and score them. When you've done this you should have a rational basis for judging their relative merits. Other things to consider are current workload, support and maintenance capabilities of the vendor wherever you are and experience in your country/location/environment. Don't forget the data links - number and type may well be important.

Also I am working on a Honeywell job at the moment although I don't work for Honeywell. To my knowledge the controllers are not SIL certified although the safety manager is. Online mods are possible on safety manager also but like ANY redundant system if the scope of modifications is large you will need to manage it carefully.

Hello, I thank all of you for suggestions.

Now we are half way in our decision making process of DCS vendor selection. This time I would like to ask you about DeltaV SIS Logic solver capacity. I found an opinion that DeltaV SIS Logic solvers proposed by Emerson has a poor capacity. I am concerned that it may lead to necessity of multiplication of logic solvers in case of sophisticated logic functions execution, so the overall final cost of the system may rise unexpectedly.

Thank you in advance for any opinion.

Chris (PL)

M

Marc Schuilwerve

The Honeywell Safety Manager is SIL 3 certified by TUV, so it therefore exceeds the SIL 2 requirements. As with any SIS one should read the vendors safety manual to fully understand any limitations to maintain the SIL 3 level.

D

Doug Hitchcock

Chris,

If you have wireless elements in your greenfield project architecture, I might also suggest you look at G.E. (the MDS division of Digital Energy) and the NETio family for any wireless I/O requirements in your system. The NETio takes discrete I/O points and creates protocol-addressable I/O (Modbus, Modbus-TCP, and DNP3)

Doug

Check out Acromag's EtherStax Ethernet I/O products. Specifically the
ES2113 and the ES216x products. I think you'll find the performance
specifications and affordability you need.

N
DeltaV SIS systems are built up using SLS1508 logic solvers, each with 16 multi-function I/O points. Simplistically, divide your total I/O count by 16 (or 8 if you need redundant I/O) and you will have an idea of how many logic solvers you need.