CNC C++ Data transfer using RS232C

A

Anonymous

I would like to programme a CNC machine using C++ from originally programmed Pascal to a windows-based computer using serial interface RS232C. i dont know where to start, could anyone please advise me which Software i should use and how to go about it?

regards.

S

Shankar Krishnamoorthy

I assume you are asking about sending G&M codes to the CNC system from PC. If it is the case, there are plenty of commercially available DNC softwares which send data to the CNC system continuously.

If you are thinking of writing this program on your own, it is pretty simple. You just need to use serial port routines to send data to COM port.

~ Shankar
[email protected]
www.aspiresys.com

D

David.Wooden

Assuming that you are using a Windows PC to talk to a standard CNC machine, there are several products available to do this for you without spending the time to write it yourself. Look up DNC. If you really need to write the program yourself, you may want to look at some samples anyway. A simple terminal emulator such as HyperTerminal (included with Windows) can also do this, but it's slightly more complicated.

If you are writing a CNC program to control a machine (to replace an existing controller or to convert a non-CNC machine to CNC) and you don't know where to start, you are getting in pretty deep. I would suggest bring in a consultant to help you get started. If you can be more specific about your project, we can probably be more helpful.

Best regards,

David Wooden Senior Software Engineer, Systems Integration Omron Electronics LLC
E-mail: [email protected]