Control Logics Alnalogue Output alarm

M

Mick

I have recently had to disable an alarm in an analogue output card channel due to it causing an error in the PLC Software. The Analogue output in question, operates a modulating process valve. This is done by the PLC using a PID linked to temperature control.

As far as I am aware the valve seems to be functioning without any problems (4mA = Closed 20mA = fully open )

however in the PLC I/0 as seen in the control logics project window, I have had disable the internal alarm for this output channel to prevent it from sending an "Analogue error" message via a HMI Screen.

My question

What does this internal alarm actually do. (It must monitor the 4-20 mA signal somehow. (There is no other feebback)?

Can someone help me determine how this works

For this Output channel

Is this an internal alarm that sets a bit depending on a pre-set output level (that is pre-adjusted in the I/O properties of the Analogue output card),

or is it an indication that there may be a problem somewhere in the field, with the external circuit (Maybe too much resistance in the 4-20mA Circuit)

Mick

T

Trevor Ousey

You are correct, this is set in the properties of the module. An external fault would show has either hi or lo, or zero, and would flag as a fault or alarm. All this is in the manuals available on line.