Detroit Diesel Engine problem

S

Sonny

Dear people.

We have a Detroit diesel engine. The model number is 9160-7320. It drives a Stamford generator type HC1734E2. The generator data are:
Power 1550 kVA at 1800 rpm.

According to the vendors the output power of the diesel engine is 1200 kW at 1800 RPM. The model number description table in the manual give us that
9 = 149 series
16 = sixteen cylinders
0 = there is no description for this
7 = right hand rotation
3 = Turbo Chargers and Intercoolers optional
7 & 8 = there is no description

The motor has been revised completely. They have put injectors size 190. Despite this we cannot get more than 950 kW out of the genset at cos phi=1.

We have checked the governor. This is ok. At 950 kW. We checked also the Air filter, oil filter, fuel filter. These are ok. The fuel pressure is more than 80 PSI. I want to be sure if this rated speed of this motor is 1800 RPM. How can I check this? Can some one help me with model number (with a description of the digit I don't know)?

Other suggestions about things we can do are welcome.

Sonny
[email protected]

If generation is at 60hz the speed will be 1800RPM. If generation is at 50hz the speed will be 1500 RPM.

The "injectors-Fuel rack" is inproper set. Then will not deliver full engine power. For a quick check - with engine stoped, move to governor to full speed. Did "Fuel rack" the slide fully into the injectors?

Thanks for your comments. Yesterday I get the message that the engine is rebuild. They come to the conclusion because the the serial number has been changed over year. It can be found in the database of the detroit diesel. I need to know how I can calculate the BHP of the engine. Can you help me with this?

Responding to Sonny's problem:

I'm not sure if the following will help or not, but it's real-world experience. It is a story of what an "observation" is. Or, paraphrasing a popular phrase "OK to one may be NOK to another!" Names are being omitted to protect the stupid!

I was testing the paralleling of 5-500kW diesels on a ship. The "load' consisted of a sea-water resistor-bank on top of the ship. I was located in the engine room and my 'observer' was top-side at the tank. The problem occurred whenever we had more than one generator on-line,
resulting in widely varying volts, amps, and pf readings. Generator pairing didn't matter.

The procedure was simple enough. Place one generator on-line and bring its load to max. Then a second was added. But as its load was increased the meters began wildly varying. Every time I called topside and asked "Any problems?", the reply was, "No, everything's OK?

Several days was spent on equipment checkout, including phasing. connections, regulator replacement, diesel controller replacement, etc.

Finally, I decided to go top-side during a test. The water in the tank was boiling like a lobster pot. The current was causing large bubbles to form against the flat-plate electrodes, and then they would suddenly implode resulting in extreme load changes. I screamed at my observer, "You said everything was OK!" He said "looks OK to me!"

Oh yes, the cause was that no-one thought to increase the inlet water supply to the tank!

In closing... How are you testing?

Regards,
Phil Corso, PE {Boca Raton, FL, USA}
[[email protected]] ([email protected])

DETROIT DIESEL GENERATOR, Eng. data 89078, model 70857001. Maximun no load 1260rpm. Full overhaul comsuption 5 litres oil in 24 hours. This engine has a turbo blower. Does this engine belong to a Turbo Charger or No Turbo Charger?

T

Tomy Zacharia

Dear Anonymous,

I'll assume that you have some experience around IC engines. If you have the engine in front of you, then trace the exhaust manifold to the silencer/muffler. Any bumps in between that look like a small pump/blower is
probably a turbocharger. By rule of thumb, a stationary engine above 100 hp probably is turbocharged (or some form of pressure charging is employed).

Regards,

Tomy Zacharia

J

Jean Wordelair Romulus

I read your complaint and I understand it. My advice to you is: the engine is doing a good Job because if the engine produce 1200 kw when you adapt the generator to it some energy will spent to turn the generator that is why you find 950 kw that means 80% so the engine is working well

A

Archie Hebert

You need to check your eng RPM while under load to see if it is at full RPM (1800) while pulling whatever KW you are reading to determine if it is the eng. at fault or possibly your voltage meter or KW meter.

Does the engine smoke heavy at this point? Also, is the fuel rack in full fuel position, are you running a hydrualic governor, is the governor letting the rack go to full fuel, are the blower flaps in the open and running position, are you running on all 16 cylinders, and what is the temperature of each cylinder? This tells you if all cylinders are building the same power.

Basic trouble shooting.

Archie Hebert
Hebert's EMD Engine Service
Thibodaux l
Louisiana 985 209 8045
24/7 around the clock around the world