Experimental pilot plant

L

Luichi

Hi,
we are going to build an experimental pilot plant in Spain (combustion and gas analysis). The distributed control system should be the most open as possible due to experimental purposes.
Of the following ones, which lets you to configure, play and program the most:

Honeywell Experion PKS
ABB Industrial IT (800xA)
Siemens PCS7
Emerson Ovation

I will need to develop control strategies and there will be around 5000 signals. It should be very open (Profibus and Fieldbus together, Advanced Process Control integration, ...).

Thanks for your help. Please experts with experience in any of those systems... can you let me know "disadvantages or problems" of some of these systems.

Regards.

Is "Open" really what you are looking for? All the manufacturers you list will say their system is open.

You are really asking which system is easy to engineer and change. From an engineering viewpoint we use 800xA because making changes is quick. If you create something like a PID loop in a controller, you immediately create all of the HMI functions for it at the same time with no extra engineering work required. There is no separate Controller and HMI database. So from our experience this system is really fast to engineer and change.

If by "open" you mean IEC 61131 and OPC-DA 2.05 compliant, then yes it is.

Maybe someone else can speak for the other systems you are interested in.

Rob

www[.]lymac.co.nz

Thanks Rob,
as open, we are thinking in future escability of the system, the use of different buses (Profibus, FF,...). I have heard good things about ABB Industrial IT and Emerson Ovation. But has someone experience with Ovation System? I don't find a lot of info about this, and I would like to see a screenshot of this system (graphics...).
Also where's the weakness of this system?

Thanks.

I have experienced with Honeywell system, included TPS and EPKS. I can tell that these systems are what you are looking for, but although I have no experience with other systems, I believe they have same features too.

Sulaiman