how to build a network for 2 distant departments?

L

Liung012

Hi,

I have to build a network for 2 distant departments. I am still confused what type of networking should i choose. The point is we can communicate to each other easily even on separated location (data transfering, chatting, other office activities). The distance between the departments is not too far... about 5-10 km. May you give illustration about comparing each type of networking (the cost, speed, intallation etc)? I hope this enough for you to solve my problem. Thanks for your attention...

Regard,

Liung012

I am not a networking guru, but I dont think you have really given enough infomation. Does each location have its own internet access? If so you might want to consider a VPN (Virtual Private Network). Thats what our offices use, and we are 150Km apart.

Good luck

the key lies on phisical layer of the network. I assume a optic fiber linking two switches will allow a very good performance. The Network inside the buildings could remain as 100baseT ethernet as phisical layer. Offcourse over this phisical layer you could transport TCP/IP packets.

good luck

AR

S

Shahid Waqas Chaudhry

Or alternatively, you could use
1. Fibre Optic Network
2. Radio Modem (I have seen E1 lines)
3. VSAT

However, Steve has the *best* solution! Simply use a broadband service provider (Cable/xDSL/ISDN) and establish a VPN. Secure, Cheap, and maintenance overheads are with the provider not the user (you).

- Shahid