IS & NIS Junction Boxes?

Q

Qasem

I have some signals defined as IS and other signals defined as NIS. The application is Gas utilization project in Zone1 & Zone2. My question is about the housing enclosure, what shall be the type of the junction box for IS signals and what shall be the junction box for NIS signals?

- Is it possible to use EEXe for both?

Thank you,
Qasem

I understand that the IS signals are safe because the energy is being limited by the use of so called barriers, but what about the NIS signals ? are they safe?

I have some signals defined as IS and other signals defined as NIS. The application is Gas utilization project in Zone1 & Zone2. My question is about the housing enclosure, what shall be the type of the junction box for IS signals and what shall be the junction box for NIS signals?

- Is it possible to use EEXe for both?

Thank you,
Qasem
?

Hello,
For the NIS signals in the hazardous area you should use Exe junction boxes. For IS signals Exe junction boxes could be used provided additional requirements as mentioned in IEC60079-11 is fulfilled. To avoid all the unnecessary burdens it is advisable to use IS certified junction boxes for IS signals.