Liquid H2SO4 flow measurement

• Thread starter Francesco Ambrogi
  • Start date
F

Francesco Ambrogi

Could someone advise me how to measure H2SO4 flow to the tank truck top loading arm? The pipe is 3”.

Data:

Fluid: liquid H2SO4 98%
Spec. Gravity: 1,8 kg/dm3
Viscosity: 23 mPasc
Pressure: <10 bar
Temperature: amb.
Flow range: 10.800 / 90.000 / 108.000 kg/h

Kindly reply at [email protected]

You might want to search for Coriolis Flow meters. There are probably versions available which can be used with sulphuric acid (the flow tube in these has no internal parts).

I
We use what is kindly referred to as a calibrated bend where the theory is you get a known pressure drop around a 90degree bend in relation to supply pressure and pipe ID. You could however and preferably use an orifice plate which you can get manufactured by a wide range of suppliers given your pipe ID and pressure. Then use a differential pressure transmitter to output your flow. Keep in mind that you will need to use square root extraction either within your controller or within the transmitter if it is fitted with a linear output conversion. ie Rosemount 3051. I am sure there are many other ways but this is the cheapest I would think. You also have to keep in mind that the transmitter legs need to be filled with the process liquid in this case sulphuric acid, so material selection is critical. 316SS works well for us. Also the head of liquid in the legs has to be taken into account if the legs are not level with each other. This could go on for ages so I will stop here. Email me if you need more help.

Dear Francesco Ambrogi,

In my plant, we have been using magnetic flowmeter since 15 years ago. But in this service, we ever did replacement after 11 years service, the reason is not due to less performance but caused the body flange already corroded by enviroment condition. Now, we still use same model for H2SO4 service.

We used magnetic flowmeter mfr Krohne, with Tantalum as electrode material. Its performance is good, reliable and more cheaper than others. Hope useful.

Regards from Indonesia
osaki

In case mass is to be measured and If it is custody transfer, use massmeter that can give density corrected standardised equivalant readout.

In case mass is to be measured and If it is not custody transfer use a magmeter, either with tanatallum electrodes and teflon lining, or an electrodeless mag. But mag should have at least 0.2% accuracy and 1000:1 turndown (ABB MAGMASTER). along with that you can use a small density device such as a small bore coriolis meter in bypass line, and do rest of calculations / corrections in a math unit or plc.

In case volume is to be measured and If it is not custody transfer use only the magmeter.

S

Standard Plan

Properly equipped, a differential meter (orifice, ASME Flow Nozzle) can be used and be cost effective. We offer a Flow Nozzle meter with built in flow conditioning for this type of application.

Sincerely,
John Catch
www.inflowinc.com

Use capacitance flowmeter with ceramic tube from YOKOGAWA. Conductivity of media should be > 0,05 micro S/sm2.