Orifice plate calculation for change in presure

G

Ghate Vinod

Dear Friends;

I want equation/Formula to calculate delta P when there is a pressure/temp. change of process fluid for orifice plate flow measurement.

e.g., if for steam design press. 9 Kg/Cm2(g) Flow =5000 Kg/Hr Delta P:- 1000 mmWC.

Now if the Steam press. changes to 5 Kg/cm2(g) what will be the new delta P? (flow range remain the same.) Obviously there will be temp. change corresponding to press. (for steam.)

Here is what I think.

If P = 9 kg/cm2 is designed pressure, then flow is calculated according to the following formula:
Q = k *sqrt(Deltap).

In your particular case: DeltaP = 1000 mmH2O = 9806.65 Pa and Q = 5 t/h. This will lead to k = 0.0505.

Now, if absoulte pressure is lower, you need to make correction according to the following (approximate) formula:
Q = k*sqrt(Deltap) * sqrt(Pactual/Pdes) = 3.73 t/h

I think that would be it, but it would be good if someone else verify this.

Cheers

G
Dear Chrees;

I have cross checked your calculation using another formula; it is correct. but what about delta P? As per my supplier--for these changed conditions the delta P is 1623 mmWC. but i'm not getting how he calculated it.

I don't know either about deltaP.

However, his question was (if I understood correctly) to determine new flow rate when pressure is changed and transmitter is measuring same DeltaP of 1000 mm H2O.

Regards,
Mik

G
The question is if design pressure changes; what will be the new delta P for the same design flow 5000 kg/hr.

G
> how you have decided delta P as 1000 mmWC? is there any standard or general practice? <

whatever data i have given is for existing orifice which is designed by supplier.

so 1000 mmwc is the designed deltap for 5000 Kg/Hr flow & Given designed flow 5 Kg/Cm2 (g)

now due to some circumstances the pressure is changing to 10 Kg/Cm2 (g). I asked my supplier to design a new Dp for changed conditions. He calculated it 1024 mmwc for same 5000 Kg/hr flow rate. I need those calculations if any body have. i.e. if pressure or temp of the process liquid changes what will be the new deltaP if the flow remains constant?

B

Bruce Durdle

The differential pressure developed by an orifice plate is affected by the fluid density as well as the flow. If your fluid is a gas, then temperature and pressure will both alter the performance. Temperature will also change the dimensions of the orifice through expansion.

The best thing for you to do is to obtain a copy of an orifice sizing program, that lets you see what happens under different circumstances. One I have used for this is FESizer which has a demo available for download that can be used.

Otherwise you can obtain a copy of the relevant standards used t size orifices in your plant and work trough the calcs - but I wouldn't wish that on you as it can be a nightmare process.

Bruce.