SOV for Anti Surge Valve

Hello;

Anti surge Control valves for Gas Centrifugal Compressor. the valve equipped with SOV . SOV de-energized in case machine trip and energized during Machine start up.
My question, Energize and de-energize of SOV has to be done from ESD or Turbine Control system.

Which is the best practices.

Regards

Surge conditions are determined by the compressor discharge pressure, and flow conditions.
That is part of your process control and safety. Work with your plant drawings, and the compressor supplier.

I would suggest that if the gas centrifugal compressor has an anti-surge controller the SOV should be controlled by the anti-surge controller. In my limited experience with gas turbines driving centrifugal compressors it's not common for the anti-surge control to be implemented in the gas turbine control system (though with newer GE Mark* turbine control systems that seems to be changing to use a single control system for both the gas turbine and the centrifugal compressor it drives).

Perhaps if you could describe the problems you are having someone here might be able to offer more help. If this is just a theory or controls philosophy question it should be directed to the packager of the gas centrifugal compressor and its anti-surge control system.

Hello,

If the only condition for de-energizing is a trip, then you could do that with the ESD system. The anti-surge control should also know when you have a trip, so it would work equally well to have it drive the SOV.

You might want to de-energize the SOV in other conditions, for example detection of multiple surges. The anti-surge control has the logic for detecting surge, so it should drive the SOV if you want to de-energize in situations that are not a complete shutdown of the system.

I haven't looked at this for a while, but I think API 670 recommends a dedicated surge detection system (separate from the anti-surge control) for some compressors. In that scenario, the surge detection system could drive the SOV.