Torque of a stepper motor

A

Anonymous

I have a 4-phase-12V stepper motor and i m using it in wave stepping mode and am getting very less torque to drive a wheel... how can i increase the torque so that it can drive the wheel?? If the motor coils are excited in Half stepping(a hybrid of wave stepping and full stepping) then will the torque increase??

R

Robert Scott

I'm not sure what you mean by wave stepping, but full stepping will produce the most torque.

Beyond the stepping sequence, also look at how current is being controlled. Using a higher voltage will correspondingly larger series resistors will produce a better L/R time constant, so that the current will rise quickly when a phase is turned on. Also, consider using a chopping drive with current feedback (also with high voltage) to improve the time constant and get more torque.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

Increase current to the motor. Changing step resolution to half step won't gain you anything.

Current = Torque
Voltage = Speed

Make sure you are not using a regulated power supply.

Voltage has nothing to do with motor speed as far as steppers are concerned. Of course, if you increase the voltage, current will increase too (Ohms Law).

- Stuart