Voltage/Var/Power Factor

S

Survivor

We are operating 4x2MW Gas Engine driven Generators. Recently, a new power station (4MW gas turbine driven generator) is built. This new power station is linked to a common grid as our power station.

When this new power station is running, it is evident that our var is affected. Our var turned negative and the power factor becomes leading. Our voltage is also affected. Can somebody please enlighten me about this problem.

Hi There,

This is my first post here, and if i make a hash of this please anyone feel free to correct me.

From what you have described your power plant is pushed into a leading power factor when the new plant comes online along with a voltage increase.

First some questions.

When you say your voltage is affected does it just increase or do you lose stability?

When you talk about the grid you are connected to, are your system and the 4mW system the biggest operating plants?

Is the 4mW system located physically close to your plant?

Thinking aloud if you are being pushed into a leading PF then your AVR's either cannot or have been set up to not, raise the excitation current to pull your pf back into a lagging area. The 4MW plant will likely be raising the whole system voltage. Any system trying to operate at a lower voltage than the system voltage will receive VArs, pushing power factor towards leading.

Your AVR's or there controllers will either be running in a droop mode, or in an isochronous PF or VAR share mode. I would guess that in droop mode they should be ok unless they are limited in what voltage they can reach. If the system is being run however by a microprocessor controller that biases the AVR's to control PF/Voltage this could be limited in its software or setup so that the higher voltage is outside the range of its control limits.

Can you let me know what kind of control equipment you are using?

Does any of this make any sense at all?