Wireless RS485

M

Marwan

Hello everybody,

I need your advise, I have 4 controllers working properly and connected together with RS485, 2 wire.

I want to get rid of the communication wires and replace them with wireless communication, Should be low price solution, distance between 2 controllers will not exceed 100ft (35meter)

I'm looking for something to plug into Rs485 and have a little antenna, without changing the program in the controllers.

Thank you for reading

P
Marwan -

Provided that the application protocol you're using is not too timing sensitive, you should be able to use a pair of wireless device servers.

http://tinyurl.com/3yoyqfc

Make sure the model support automatic RS-485 transmit enable, and peer-to-peer (Ad Hoc) connection. I am familiar with the Advantech EKI-1351, which supports these. Note: there is a DB9 to terminal block adapter for landing twisted-pair wiring.

http://www.advantech.com/products/EKI-1351/mod_1-2MLFCE.aspx

Paul...

Dear

may i know why you want to go towards wireless medium as the wired medium is still very reliable. If you are concerned about the no.of wires and want to get rid of them then why don't you try using a RS485 MUX?

In this way you only have to carry one wire from the MUX output.

Second option can be to convert RS485 to ethernet, use a ethernet switch and in this way you will have to carry one ethernet wire to the other end.

Best Regards
SB

I want to thank everybody for reply,

The price that is acceptable must be in the range 40-80US, and the reason I want to get rid of cables is the units in network are mobile units with its own 24v Battery, the can move around the shop floor, and create groups of 2,4,6,8, or 10 units.

It gets very messy with all the communication cable, SO now I have to move the units into place, connect wires, next day configuration will change, I have to move the units again, so I disconnect , move and connect again.

With wireless communication this will be much more simpler and safer for the personnel to move around.

Mean time I've purchased a pair of ATC863-S2 RS485 to RF converters from Gridconnect.com to test, the didn't work. I can see that one unit is sending from Master and the other is receiving (Slave). I don't see two way communication, and there are not many settings I can change. the support was unable to even understand the problem. All they care is the RF communication is working, but my controllers can't talk together.

So still looking for solution.

P
Marwan,

What protocol do your controllers use on RS-485? Remember with RS-485 and particularly a single-channel wireless solution, there is some time required for switching from transmit to receive. Perhaps there is a timing issue.

Paul...