laptop with rs232 port

M

muzza

Does anyone know where I can get a laptop with an RS232 port?

I do alot of instrumentation and control work and dont like using convertors from USB to serial as most of them dont work or data corruption occurs. The last thing I want is to upload a program onto a PLC and screw it up.

Please help

hello,

You can purchase any laptop i.e. toshiba,dell,sony... just check thr website to check out the model no. I have toshiba satellite which has com port.

L

Luca Gallina

office-like laptops:

- DELL sells PC with at least one built-in serial port, they've also a kind of industrial laptop too.

- HP/COMPAQ offer a workstation with serial port, laptop model 8710W

For harsh environments you may be interested in rugged PCs, try http://www.ruggedpcreview.com

Hint: beside COM ports, check also for PCMCIA cards support.

regards
Luca Gallina

I'm in the same case. Most interfaces doesn't work propperly with converters usb-rs232. Two years ago, in my factory, we bought 2 toshiba tecra laptops with built-in serial port. is expensive but efective option.

C

Curt Wuollet

Unless they've changed quite recently, the Dells I've used have had a serial port.

Regards
cww

H
Fujitsu Lifebook E8420
I like mine because it has both a true RS232 and the hardware is of a fairly current vintage including a T9400 Core 2 Duo (x64) processor. It runs Vista and Linux fine and I will be able to upgrade easily to Windows 7 when the time comes.

Pros: Has a modem and four USB ports, a FireWire IEEE 1394 port,PC Card II, 10Base1000, as well as RS232, IEEE 1284 and even a HDMI port.

Con: No eSATA (this would have made the unit perfect for me). Won't charge my USB devices when it's off but when it's on, it seems to deliver plenty of current.