advertisement
from the Forum department...
laptop with rs232 port
Computers in manufacturing; also hardware discussion. topic
Posted by muzza on 30 April, 2009 - 4:15 am
Does anyone know where I can get a laptop with an RS232 port?

I do alot of instrumentation and control work and dont like using convertors from USB to serial as most of them dont work or data corruption occurs. The last thing I want is to upload a program onto a PLC and screw it up.

Please help

Posted by sushant on 30 April, 2009 - 7:47 am
hello,

You can purchase any laptop i.e. toshiba,dell,sony... just check thr website to check out the model no. I have toshiba satellite which has com port.

Posted by Luca Gallina on 30 April, 2009 - 8:02 am
office-like laptops:

- DELL sells PC with at least one built-in serial port, they've also a kind of industrial laptop too.

- HP/COMPAQ offer a workstation with serial port, laptop model 8710W

For harsh environments you may be interested in rugged PCs, try http://www.ruggedpcreview.com

Hint: beside COM ports, check also for PCMCIA cards support.

regards
Luca Gallina

Posted by Enric_Tgn on 30 April, 2009 - 4:20 pm
I'm in the same case. Most interfaces doesn't work propperly with converters usb-rs232. Two years ago, in my factory, we bought 2 toshiba tecra laptops with built-in serial port. is expensive but efective option.

Posted by Roy Matson on 30 April, 2009 - 8:10 pm
The "Dell Lattitude" still comes with RS-232, its a good solid laptop.
Regards
Roy

Posted by Curt Wuollet on 30 April, 2009 - 11:47 pm
Unless they've changed quite recently, the Dells I've used have had a serial port.

Regards
cww

Posted by Bill Bom on 29 July, 2009 - 9:09 pm
Dell Prescision M65 has RS232

Posted by HWdesigner on 22 August, 2009 - 5:13 pm
Fujitsu Lifebook E8420
I like mine because it has both a true RS232 and the hardware is of a fairly current vintage including a T9400 Core 2 Duo (x64) processor. It runs Vista and Linux fine and I will be able to upgrade easily to Windows 7 when the time comes.

Pros: Has a modem and four USB ports, a FireWire IEEE 1394 port,PC Card II, 10Base1000, as well as RS232, IEEE 1284 and even a HDMI port.

Con: No eSATA (this would have made the unit perfect for me). Won't charge my USB devices when it's off but when it's on, it seems to deliver plenty of current.

Posted by Jeff on 2 February, 2012 - 9:48 am
Our company offers semi rugged notebooks with a built in RS232 serial port. You can visit our website at www.theportablepc.com and click on the notebooks tab to see our entire line of notebooks.

Your use of this site is subject to the terms and conditions set forth under Legal Notices and the Privacy Policy. Please read those terms and conditions carefully. Subject to the rights expressly reserved to others under Legal Notices, the content of this site and the compilation thereof is © 1999-2014 Nerds in Control, LLC. All rights reserved.

Users of this site are benefiting from open source technologies, including PHP, MySQL and Apache. Be happy.

Fortune
Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow they may make it illegal.
Advertise here
advertisements
Time to incorporate data handling, web HMI and motion in one system!
Servo, stepping motor control, analog & web HMI in one system!
Control.com is the largest Automation community on the web. Learn how to advertise here now...
View free setup and multi-vendor EtherCAT demo videos online
164-page eBook free download - EtherCAT Applications Guide
our advertisers
Help keep our servers running...
Patronize our advertisers!
Visit our Post Archive