Modbus RTU via TCP

S

Salman

Hi guyz!

In a Power Monitoring Project I'm facing a situation in which data from the Relays is coming in the form of Modbus via TCP over Ethernet. But I want to convert it into Modbus TCP.

Can you suggest me any software or device that will do it? I know some devices that convert Modbus RTU into Modbus TCP but they work as serial to ethernet converters. I just need to convert the application layer, that is, from Modbus via TCP to Modbus TCP.

Thanks

S

Sushant Chanana

Hello Salman,

As far as my knowledge is concerned,
modus is logical layer of communiation where in we have three kinds of variation available
1. Modbus TCP
2. Modbus RTU
3. Modbus ASCII

and this logical layer need physical media to tranmit itself which is
ethernet for modbus TCP and RS 485 or RS 232 for Modbus RTU.

I didn't understand what you mean by saying from Modbus via TCP to Modbus TCP?????

Could you please elaborate.

Regards
Sushant Chanana (sushant.chanana[at] sedl [dot] in)

Hello,

I know a device which is exactly designed for your requirement, so from-to Modbus RTU to-from Modbus TCP.

"Modbus/TCP, an extension of Modbus/RTU, defines how Modbus/RTU and Modbus/ASCII messages are encoded within and transported over TCP/IP-based networks. Modbus/TCP is just as simple to implement and flexible to apply as the original Modbus/RTU. You can find the specification for both online at www.modicon.com.

"The XPort-MB Device Server allows users to integrate new and existing Modbus/RTU and Modbus/ASCII serial devices to newer TCP/IP network-based devices. The next section describes a system that integrates four Modbus/RTU devices with four Modbus/TCP devices."

I hope I could help you.

Bye!

Áron