4 - 20 ma. to ethernet

R

rmarotta

I have searched, and found wildly differing methods to remotely read a current loop in real time. Does anyone have a simple (read that inexpensive) way to interface my probe's current loop over wi-fi, using any web browser?

Thanks for any info.

The closest single module that I can think of is Acromag's line of Modbus TCP (ethernet) slave modules with multiple 4 - 20 mA analog input(s). The Acromag 961EN includes a web server with web pages for configuration and testing. One of its web pages shows the scaled analog value(s), but the web pages cannot be customized. But the Acromags are probably not what you think is inexpensive; they're industrial grade (24 Vdc power), have multiple inputs and are priced accordingly.

>.....But the Acromags are probably not what you think is
> inexpensive; they're industrial grade (24 Vdc power), have multiple inputs and
> are priced accordingly.

Thanks for your reply David, but that's out of my reach for the project.
I was hoping to find some kind of consumer item that might be used for my purpose.

Again, I appreciate your effort.
rmarotta

C

Curt Wuollet

If you're open to consumer devices and don't mind doing some programming you can get an arduino type board with an ethernet port and analog ports and program it to do the scaling conversion and build packets. The cost can be pretty low with the right selection. And the programming is reasonably easy if you've done any programming before. I have used a freeduino to measure temperature using thermistors and send the results via serial, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to set one up for 4-20 ma conversion and send via ethernet.

And it's all open source and open hardware so you could cut the cost
further by integrating it all on one board if volumes make that practical.

Regards
cww

T

Tallak Tveide

You might want to look at netbiter. I have not tried it, but compared to arduino, if you are doing this in a professional capacity, i would assume you will spend less time and get a higher quality result for an additional harware investment.

Another option of course is a wlan switch along with a small plc or remote I/O with appropriate hmi (mblogic, pvbrower, intouch etc), or do it yourself for instance with ruby, sinatra and rmodbus

For hobby use go with the arduino

T

Tallak Tveide

You might also look at Schneider factorycast that eliminates the need for a separate hmi system if you use their PLCs