Convert Intouch 7 to 10 issues???

N

Neil

I have three apps that currently use native objects and some application, condition, data change, and quick function scripts. Nothing two fancy mostly screen control, a little security, and calculated values and strings for titles. What can I expect for labour if any to make the current apps work in the new ver 10?

Thanks in advance,

Neil

P

Paul Edwards

Hi Neil

If your Intouch is prior to V7.11 then you will need to change all your alarm screens after the upgrade as there was a major change and default screens are used in place of existing screens.

The main issue you will find is with script extensions. If these are used in the old application you will need to identify them and re-use or re-engineer them out. Usually the way to find out is when the screen conversion happens it will stop with an error. Note the screen name and accept the error then go back to the screen.

The sequence to upgrade is normally just to load the app in the new version and let it convert. After the process (assuming no major errors) go through every script and revalidate it. You may find some issues with little things like "a-b" which needs changing to "a - b", other than that it should be OK. Most script extensions that run on 7 will also work on 10.

The most a conversion has taken me is 3 days but this was a big app with recipes and many scripts. The main thing I find is the testing. You may think it has worked but find something later which is easy to fix but you just missed it (usually scripts not behaving exactly the same as before).

The only other thing to do is make sure you do not change screen resolution and check a V10 converted app will communicate with a V7 app if required. Try to engineer out DDE and use Suitelink in your new app.

The easiest think is to give yourself 1 hour and just try it. I am sure you will have no major problems if the app is relatively simple.

Paul