Entering text in WinCC

• Thread starter John Barnet Engineering
  • Start date
J

John Barnet Engineering

I want to enter in a string of text into WinCC and link that to a variable in the S7-300 PLC. the problem I got is that the TEXT BOX in WinCC does not wrap the text to the next line. Our HMI is frequently turned off so I want to store this text in the PLC. the problem is not in the communications between the two it is in the formatting of the text box. How can this be done?

Assuming you have WinCC and not WinCC Flexible there are at least two ways I can see to do this:

1) Use the Microsoft Rich Text ActiveX Control. Simply link your tag to the Text property and set the MultiLine property to Yes.

2) Have about 10 hidden IOFields (I assume this is what you mean by text box) below your visible IOField. Have a script on the OutputValue property that runs when the tag changes. The script then splits the tag value into chunks and writes to the invisible IOFields setting the visiblity to true. So if the tag value has a length of 100 and each IOField can display 50 characters your script would split the tag value into two, write the first half to the visible IOField, the second half to the 1st invisible IOField and also set this IOField's Display property to TRUE.

Obviously, the first option is the easiest!