Thermal Relief valve

A

Akash Dhandhukia

Dear all,

Please anyone can tell me the purpose of thermal relief valve in pump suction?

Being specific, is it required to have TRV in condensate extraction pump suction line in power plant which is generally not exposed to direct sunlight?

I have seen in some plant its provided and in some not. Please help me out and if some reference are there than kindly attach.

R
It does sound a bit odd, thermal relief valves are usually on the cold side of a heat exchanger. Is there any other source of heat beside sunlight.

Perhaps they have allowed for running the pump against closed valves.

Roy

A

Akash Dhandhukia

Dear Roy Matson ,

Thank you for the reply. But there is no any source of heat because its in the building. I want to know why TRV is required at suction side if we allow to run the pump keeping discharge valve closed ?

R
"I want to know why TRV is required at suction side if we allow to run the pump keeping discharge valve closed ?"

The pump will generate a lot of heat. If you had both discharge and suction valve closed something has to go. Having said that, I have never seen a TRV on pump suction.

Is your fluid something special like Chlorine that has a large thermal expansion?

Roy

A

Akash Dhandhukia

Dear Mr Roy,

Pump fluid is Water only. But can you please tell me how the pump can operate keeping both inlet and outlet valves closed?

Regards,
Akash Dhandhukia.

Dear Akash,

I'm Mr.Fahm. Regarding u're issue TRV which is in a building. for what sort of pump it's using. It's Fire water pump or Jockey pump.

Thnk&Rgds
Fahm